عنوان مقاله [English]
The purpose of this study is to explore the effect of organizational silence on group work effectiveness with the mediating role of organizational identity. The statistical population included 2013 employees of Isfahan Municipality. The sample size was determined equal to 323 via two-phase sampling as well as cluster sampling and proportional stratified sampling by means of Cochran formula. The data was collected through standard questionnaires of Wakola and Boradas' organizational silence (2005), Robbins' (2007) group work effectiveness and Cheney's (1983) organizational identity. Validity of the questionnaires was confirmed via content validity and reliability was obtained through Cronbach's alpha. Data analysis and testing of hypotheses were carried out using structural equation modeling (SEM) and Spss 24 and Amos 24 software. The results revealed that organizational silence has a significant negative effect on group work effectiveness with path coefficient equal to -0.39 and it has a significant negative effect on group work effectiveness with the mediating role of organizational identity with a path coefficient equal to -0.457. Also, based on the results of the secondary hypotheses, organizational silence is effective on dimensions of group work effectiveness including contextual factors, group composition, job design, and process variables with path coefficients of -0.38, -0.47, -0.49 and -0.55 respectively.
- Acaray, A., Akturan, A. (2015). The Relationship between Organizational Citizenship Behaviour and Organizational Silence. Social and Behavioral Sciences, 207, 472-482.
- Ashforth, B. E. (2001). Role Transitions in Organizational Life: An identity-based Perspective. Mahwah, N. J: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Bani Najjarian, N. (2009). Group in Context. European journal of social sciences, 8(4) , 45-59.
- Beheshtifar, M., Borhani, H. N., & Moghadam ,M. (2012). Destructive Role of Employee Silence in Organizational Success .International. Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 2(11) , 275 -282.
- Brinsfield, C. T., Edwards, M. S., & Greenberg, J. (2009). Voice and Silence in Organizations: historical review and current conceptualizations. 1, 3-33.
- Certo, S. (2009). Modern Management . Prentice-Hall, Seventh Edition.
- Çınar, O., Karcıoğlu, F., & Alioğulları, Z. (2013). The Relationship between Organizational Silence and Organizational Citizenship Behavior: A Survey Study in the Province of Erzurum, Turkey. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences.99, 314-321.
- Cheney, G. (1983). The Rhetoric of Identification and Study of Organizational Communication. Quarterly Journal of Speech. 69(2), 143-158.
- Damghaniyan, H., & Rosban, F. (2015). Explaining Employee Silence in Connection with the Direct Manager Based on Mixed Method. Organizational Behaviour Studies Quarterly, 4(3), 175-194. (In Persian)
- Danaeefard, H. & Panahi, B. (2010). An Analysis of Employee's Attitudes in Public Organizations: Explanation of 0rganizational Silence Climate and Silence Behavior. Management researcher, 2(3), 1-19. (in Persian)
- Deniz, N., Noyan, A., & Gulen Ertosun, O. (2013). The Relationship between Employee Silence and Organizational Commitment in a Private Healthcare Company. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 99, 691-700.
- DuBrin. A. J. (2004). Applying Psychology. Individual and Organizational Effectiveness. Newjersy: Pearson. Preentice Hall Press.
- Gautam, T; Van Dich, R., &Wanger, U. (2004). Organizational Identification and Organizational Commitment; Distinct a Aspects of Two Related Concepts. Asian Journal of social psychology, 7(3), 301-315.
- Ghanbari, C., & Beheshtirad, R. (2017). The Effect of Organizational Silence on Reduction of Teamwork and Organizational Performance Based on Balanced Scorecard (BSC): Case Study of Kermanshah Razi University staff. Journal of Applied Sociology, 27(4), 47-60. (in Persian)
- Gholipour, A., & Amiri, B. (2009). Impact Information Technology on Organizational Behavior: Examination of Identity Challenges in Virtual Teams and its Impact on Behavior of Team Members. Information Technology Management Magazine, 1(2), 103-118. (in Persian).
- Goodman, S. (2012). Management. West Publishing Press.. Sixth Edition.
- Hatch, M. J., & Shultz, M. (1997). Relations between Organizational Culture, Identity and Image. European Journal of Marketing. 31(56), 356- 365.
- Jonathon, R. B., & Halbesleben, J. (2010). The Role of Leader–Member Relationships in Follower, Leader, and Coworker Attributions of Organizational Citizenship Behavior Motives. Human Resourse Management, 20 (4), 309-316.
- Khorshid, S. (2009). Study of Relationship between Organizational Identity and Organizational Commitment of Public Banks in Kerman. Journal of Management Studies, 6, 125-158. (in Persian)
- Knoll, M., & Van Dick, R. (2012). Do I here the Whistle? Afirst Attempt to Measure Four of Employee Silence and theire Correlates. Journal of Business Ethics, 313, 349-362.
- Latane, B. (2004). Many Hands Make Light the Work: The Causes and Consequense. New York: Modern Language Association.
- Levine, J., & Moreland, R. L. (2006). Progress in Small-Group Research. Annual Review of Psychology, 41(5), 95-105.
- Moghadam, A. H., Tabarsa, G., Hamidizadeh, M. R., & Tehrani, M. (2014). Explaining Factors Affecting the Effectiveness of Working Groups at Unit Level. Journal of Public Administration Perspaective, 5(2), 47-71. (in Persian)
- Morrison, E., & Milliken, F. (2000). Organizational Slence: a Barrier to Change and Development in a Pluralistic World. The Academy of Managemet Review, 25(4), 706-725.
- Nabavi, A. (2011). An Analysis of the Relationship between Organizational Socialization and Organizational Identity in Esfahan Municipality. Master's Thesis. University of Isfahan, Faculty of Administrative Sciences and Economics. (in Persian)
- Nasr Isfahani, A., & Aghababapoor Dehkordi, T. (2013). A Study of the Relationship between Organizational Identity and Organizational Silence among Employees of the University of Isfahan. Journal of Applied Sociology, 24(4), 139-162. (in Persian)
- Nasr Isfahani, A., & Shekarchizadeh, Z. (2016). The Impact of Effectiveness of Teamwork on Good Character., Case Study: Isfahan Artistic Groups). Management Research in Iran, 20(1), 174-155. (in Persian)
- Osborn, R. (2011). Organizational Behavior. John Wiley and Sons Press, Third Edition.
- Pinder, C., & Harlos, K. (2001). Employee Silence: Quiescence and Acquiescence as Responses to Perceived Injustice, Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management, 20, 331-369.
- Rezaian, A. (2010). Team-Building in the 21st Century (Advanced Organizational Behavior Management). Tehran: Samt Press, Second Edition. (in Persian)
- Riketta, M. (2005). Organizational Identification: A Meta-Analysis. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 66, 358–384.
- Robbins, P. S. (2012). organizational behavior. prientice-Hall Press, Fifteenthth Edition.
- Sajjadi Nasab, A. N. (2009). Effective Factors on the Effectiveness of Group Work in Project-Driven Organizations. The Fiveth International Project Management Conference. 1-14. Tehran: Ariana Research Group. (in Persian)
- Salajegheh, S., & Ahmadzadeh, S. (2016). Examination of the Impact of Transformational Adership on Employees' Job Attitudes: Explaining the Mediating Role of Organizational Identity. Management, 4(12), 72-90. (in Persian)
- Salavaty, A., Yarahmadi, Y., & Seyed Hashemi, S. (2014). Effective Communication and Organizational Silence in Banking Network., Case study: Sanandaj city. Journal of Public Administration, 6(3), 523-542. (in Persian)
- Schermerhorn, J., Hant, J., & Osborn, R. (2011). Managing Organizational Behavior. Wiley Press. Twelth Edition.
- Shabani Bahar Gh., Sharifi Eskandari, A. (2016). Determine of Relationship between Organizational Silence and Jop Burnout Staffs of Department of Sport and Youth Hamedan Province. Contemporary Studies on Sport Management, 6(11), 51-61. (In Persian)
- Vakola, M., & Bouradas, D. (2005). Antecedents and Consequences of Organisational Silence: an Empirical Investigation. Employee Relations, 27(5), 441-458.
- Weiss, M., Kolbe, M., Grote., G., Spahn, D., & Grande, B. (2017). Why didn't You Say Something? Effects of After-Event Review on Voice Behaviour and Hierarchy Beliefs in Multi-Professional Action Teams. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 26 (1), 66-80.
- Zehir, C., & Erdogan, E. (2011). The Association Between Organizational Silence and Ethical Leadership through Employee Performance. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences., 24, 1389-1404.