عنوان مقاله [English]
Decision making about the structure of strategic alliances, beside the decision about goal and scope of alliance and decision about partner selection, is one of the three fundamental questions that should be addressed to form successful strategic alliances. It is believed successful alliances must accomplish two goals which both of them are related to alliance structure: coordinate the optimal combination of productive resources across parties and mitigate the risks of opportunistic behavior. Literature review reveals scattered and sometimes contradictory findings about structural framework of strategic alliances. Hence, current research is tried to provide a concluding remark of effecting factors on choosing between contractual-based and trust-based structural frameworks of strategic alliances with meta-analytics method. After reviewing and filtering of 516 scholarly papers which published in reputed scholarly international journal in a 15 years period (2002-2017), thirty eight papers were put in meta-analytics process and twenty four factors were identified. Findings from this meta-analytics showed that optimal configuration of formal and relational governance mechanisms in an alliance is contingent, and contractual-based and trust-based frameworks are complementary governance. It also showed that legal safeguard, legal system, trust, formal control and opportunism have the most effect and shared governance mechanisms has the least effect on decision about choosing between the structural frameworks of strategic alliances, among others.
- Abdi, M., & Aulakh, P. S. (2017). Locus of uncertainty and the relationship between contractual and relational governance in cross-border interfirm relationships. Journal of Management, 43(3), 771-803.
- Albers, S. (2010). Configurations of alliance governance systems. Schmalenbach Business Review, 62(3), 204-233.
- Albers, S., Wohlgezogen, F., & Zajac, E. J. (2016). Strategic alliance structures: An organization design perspective. Journal of Management, 42(3), 582-614.
- Arranz, N., & De Arroyabe, J. F. (2012). Effect of formal contracts, relational norms and trust on performance of joint research and development projects. British Journal of Management, 23(4), 575-588.
- Bstieler, L., & Hemmert, M. (2015). The effectiveness of relational and contractual governance in new product development collaborations: Evidence from Korea. Technovation, 45, 29-39.
- Burkert, M., Ivens, B. S., & Shan, J. (2012). Governance mechanisms in domestic and international buyer–supplier relationships: An empirical study. Industrial Marketing Management, 41(3), 544-556.
- Cai, S., & Yang, Z. (2008). Development of cooperative norms in the buyer‐supplier relationship: the Chinese experience. Journal of Supply Chain Management, 44(1), 55-70.
- Carson, S. J., Madhok, A., & Wu, T. (2006). Uncertainty, opportunism, and governance: The effects of volatility and ambiguity on formal and relational contracting. Academy of Management Journal, 49(5), 1058-1077.
- Cavusgil, S. T., Deligonul, S., & Zhang, C. (2004). Curbing foreign distributor opportunism: An examination of trust, contracts, and the legal environment in international channel relationships. Journal of International Marketing, 12(2), 7-27.
- Chen, C., Zhu, X., Ao, J., & Cai, L. (2013). Governance mechanisms and new venture performance in China. Systems Research and Behavioral Science, 30(3), 383-397.
- Delavar, A. (2005). Philosophical Foundations of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities. Tehran: Roshd. 4th Eds. (in Persian)
- Faems, D., Janssens, M., Madhok, A., & Looy, B. V. (2008). Toward an integrative perspective on alliance governance: Connecting contract design, trust dynamics, and contract application. Academy of Management Journal, 51(6), 1053-1078.
- Fang, E., Palmatier, R. W., Scheer, L. K., & Li, N. (2008). Trust at different organizational levels. Journal of Marketing, 72(2), 80-98.
- Ferguson, R. J., Paulin, M., & Bergeron, J. (2005). Contractual governance, relational governance, and the performance of interfirm service exchanges: The influence of boundary-spanner closeness. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 33(2), 217-234.
- Fragkos, K. C., Tsagris, M., & Frangos, C. C. (2014). Publication bias in meta-analysis: confidence intervals for Rosenthal’s fail-safe number. International Scholarly Research Notices, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/825383.
- Gençtürk, E. F., & Aulakh, P. S. (2007). Norms-and control-based governance of international manufacturer-distributor relational exchanges. Journal of International Marketing, 15(1), 92-126.
- Goo, J., Kishore, R., Rao, H. R., & Nam, K. (2009). The role of service level agreements in relational management of information technology outsourcing: an empirical study. MIS Quarterly, 33(1) 119-145.
- Haghighi, M. & Jalali, S.H. (2018). Strategic Alliance Formation from the Institutional Theory. Journal of Business Management, 9(4), 717-738.
- Handfield, R. B., & Bechtel, C. (2002). The role of trust and relationship structure in improving supply chain responsiveness. Industrial Marketing Management, 31(4), 367-382.
- Hewitt, D. & Kramer, D. (2014). An introduction to Statistics in Psychology. Translated by: Pashasharifi, H., Najafi zand, H., Mirhashemi, M., Manavipour, D. & Sharifi, N. Tehran: Sokhan. 2nd Eds. (in Persian)
- Hoetker, G., & Mellewigt, T. (2009). Choice and performance of governance mechanisms: matching alliance governance to asset type. Strategic Management Journal, 30(10), 1025-1044.
- Homburg, C., Cannon, J.P., Krohmer, H., & Kiedaisch, I. (2009). Governance of international business relationships: cross-cultural study on alternative governance modes. Journal of International Marketing, 17(3), 1-20.
- Huang, M. C., Cheng, H. L., & Tseng, C. Y. (2014). Reexamining the direct and interactive effects of governance mechanisms upon buyer–supplier cooperative performance. Industrial Marketing Management, 43(4), 704-716.
- Hunter J. E., & Schmidt F.L. (2004). Method of Meta-Analysis: Correcting Error and Bias in Research Findings. CA: Sage. 2nd Ed.
- Jalali, S. H. (2017). How alliance partner characteristics can affect performance? An empirical evidence from emerging economies context. International Journal of Strategic Business Alliances, 6(1-2), 1-17.
- Jayaraman, V., Narayanan, S., Luo, Y., & Swaminathan, J. M. (2013). Offshoring Business Process Services and Governance Control Mechanisms: An Examination of Service Providers from India. Production and Operations Management, 22(2), 314-334.
- Jiang, X., Li, M., Gao, S., Bao, Y., & Jiang, F. (2013). Managing knowledge leakage in strategic alliances: The effects of trust and formal contracts. Industrial Marketing Management, 42(6), 983-991.
- Ju, M., & Gao, G. Y. (2017). Relational governance and control mechanisms of export ventures: An examination across relationship length. Journal of International Marketing, 25(2), 72-87.
- Judge, W. Q., & Dooley, R. (2006). Strategic alliance outcomes: a transaction‐cost economics perspective. British Journal of Management, 17(1), 23-37.
- Krishnan, R., Geyskens, I., & Steenkamp, J. B. E. (2016). The effectiveness of contractual and trust‐based governance in strategic alliances under behavioral and environmental uncertainty. Strategic Management Journal, 37(12), 2521-2542.
- Lavie, D., Haunschild, P. R., & Khanna, P. (2012). Organizational differences, relational mechanisms, and alliance performance. Strategic Management Journal, 33(13), 1453-1479.
- Lee, R. P., & Johnson, J. L. (2010). Managing multiple facets of risk in new product alliances. Decision Sciences, 41(2), 271-300.
- Li, D., Eden, L., Hitt, M. A., & Ireland, R. D. (2008). Friends, acquaintances, or strangers? Partner selection in R&D alliances. Academy of Management Journal, 51(2), 315-334.
- Li, J. J., Poppo, L., & Zhou, K. Z. (2010a). Relational mechanisms, formal contracts, and local knowledge acquisition by international subsidiaries. Strategic Management Journal, 31(4), 349-370.
- Li, J., Zhou, C., & Zajac, E. J. (2009). Control, collaboration, and productivity in international joint ventures: Theory and evidence. Strategic Management Journal, 30(8), 865-884.
- Li, Y., Xie, E., Teo, H. H., & Peng, M. W. (2010b). Formal control and social control in domestic and international buyer–supplier relationships. Journal of Operations Management, 28(4), 333-344.
- Lin, H., & Darnall, N. (2015). Strategic alliance formation and structural configuration. Journal of Business Ethics, 127(3), 549-564.
- Lui, S. S., Wong, Y. Y., & Liu, W. (2009). Asset specificity roles in interfirm cooperation: Reducing opportunistic behavior or increasing cooperative behavior?. Journal of Business Research, 62(11), 1214-1219.
- Lui, S.S., & Ngo, H.Y. (2004). The role of trust and contractual safeguards on cooperation in non-equity alliances. Journal of Management, 30(4), 471-485.
- Malhotra, D., & Lumineau, F. (2011). Trust and collaboration in the aftermath of conflict: The effects of contract structure. Academy of Management Journal, 54(5), 981-998.
- Malhotra, D., & Murnighan, J. K. (2002). The effects of contracts on interpersonal trust. Administrative Science Quarterly, 47(3), 534-559.
- Mayer, K. J., & Argyres, N. S. (2004). Learning to contract: Evidence from the personal computer industry. Organization Science, 15(4), 394-410.
- Mellewigt, T., Madhok, A., & Weibel, A. (2007). Trust and formal contracts in interorganizational relationships—substitutes and complements. Managerial and Decision Economics, 28(8), 833-847.
- Parmigiani, A., & Mitchell, W. (2010). The hollow corporation revisited: Can governance mechanisms substitute for technical expertise in managing buyer‐supplier relationships?. European Management Review, 7(1), 46-70.
- Poppo, L., & Zenger, T. (2002). Do formal contracts and relational governance function as substitutes or complements?. Strategic Management Journal, 23(8), 707-725.
- Rosenthal, R. (1991). Meta-analysis: A review. Psychosomatic Medicine, 53(3), 247-271.
- Ryall, M. D., & Sampson, R. C. (2009). Formal contracts in the presence of relational enforcement mechanisms: Evidence from technology development projects. Management Science, 55(6), 906-925.
- Schilke, O., & Cook, K. S. (2015). Sources of alliance partner trustworthiness: Integrating calculative and relational perspectives. Strategic Management Journal, 36(2), 276-297.
- Srivastava, S. C., & Teo, T. S. (2012). Contract performance in offshore systems development: Role of control mechanisms. Journal of Management Information Systems, 29(1), 115-158.
- Suchman, M. C. (2003). The contract as social artifact. Law & Society Review, 37(1), 91-142.
- Teng, B. S., & Das, T. K. (2008). Governance structure choice in strategic alliances: The roles of alliance objectives, alliance management experience, and international partners. Management Decision, 46(5), 725-742.
- Wacker, J. G., Yang, C., & Sheu, C. (2016). A transaction cost economics model for estimating performance effectiveness of relational and contractual governance: Theory and statistical results. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 36(11), 1551-1575.
- Wallenburg, C. M., & Schäffler, T. (2014). The interplay of relational governance and formal control in horizontal alliances: a social contract perspective. Journal of Supply Chain Management, 50(2), 41-58.
- Wang, L., Yeung, J. H. Y., & Zhang, M. (2011). The impact of trust and contract on innovation performance: The moderating role of environmental uncertainty. International Journal of Production Economics, 134(1), 114-122.
- Wu, F., Sinkovics, R. R., Cavusgil, S. T., & Roath, A. S. (2007). Overcoming export manufacturers’ dilemma in international expansion. Journal of International Business Studies, 38(2), 283-302.
- Yang, Z., Su, C., & Fam, K. S. (2012). Dealing with institutional distances in international marketing channels: Governance strategies that engender legitimacy and efficiency. Journal of Marketing, 76(3), 41-55.
- Yang, Z., Zhou, C., & Jiang, L. (2011). When do formal control and trust matter? A context-based analysis of the effects on marketing channel relationships in China. Industrial Marketing Management, 40(1), 86-96.
- Zhao, F. (2014). A holistic and integrated approach to theorizing strategic alliances of small and medium-sized enterprises. Business Process Management Journal, 20(6), 887-905.
- Zhao, Y., & Wang, G. (2011). The impact of relation-specific investment on channel relationship performance: evidence from China. Journal of Strategic Marketing, 19(01), 57-71.
- Zhou, K. Z., & Poppo, L. (2010). Exchange hazards, relational reliability, and contracts in China: The contingent role of legal enforceability. Journal of International Business Studies, 41(5), 861-881.
- Zhou, K. Z., & Xu, D. (2012). How foreign firms curtail local supplier opportunism in China: Detailed contracts, centralized control, and relational governance. Journal of International Business Studies, 43(7), 677-692.
- Zhou, K. Z., Poppo, L., & Yang, Z. (2008). Relational ties or customized contracts? An examination of alternative governance choices in China. Journal of International Business Studies, 39(3), 526-534.